Number of residents : 2.998
Height sea : m 589
Distance from Riccione : km 36
The history of the municipality
The first human settlements dating from the Early Iron Age.Indeed Verucchio was the ninth to the sixth century BC, the Villanovan most important center of the area. The hill of Verucchio was inhabited even in Roman times, as witnessed later from Pieve dating back to 994 AD. But it is with the Middle Ages that the country becomes the new splendors linking its name to the Malatesta family, which built the fortress and chose to Verucchio their homeland. It dates, in fact, a 1144 document proving the existence of a "Castrum Veruculi" and, a few years later, it appears the name of the family that Malatesta not leave for more than three centuries, the story of Verucchio.
In 1462 Verucchio pass under the dominion of Federico da Montefeltro and 1500 switches to Caesar Borgia. From 1503 to 1516 is presented in Venice. In 1600 Verucchio was classified as "podesteria" and was subject to the Papal States under which remained except a brief interregnum of Cispadana Republic and Austria until 1860, when it became part of the united kingdom of Italy.
The places, things, meetings
Going from Rimini, it comes as a first point of berthing the central Piazza Malatesta, overlooked a beautiful home in the township, which in 1895 replaced part of the oldest said "Ripa, destroyed in the eighteenth century palace Reach Morolli hours, and the neoclassical palace Bedetti. Going by the old Patarina, on the back of the town hall, climb to the fortress. Before we see the tower of 600 civic, continuing to get to the square in front of the Fortress of Sasso. More close to the settlement Verucchio Villa, and at the foot of the hill towards the old National Marecchiese Pieve of 994. Of the Rock, the first hit us pretty Torrioncino, where it is visible emergency exit (of which are how the corridors and tunnels interior), then the great port ogival squared stone, built in the wall that once looked to peak on ravine . After the gate of the great courtyard, a tower rises as set out in ancient documents "guardiola, where in'700 has been installed the complex mechanism, still working, a big clock twin bell. From the courtyard you can see the whole village bounded by the walls around widened by Sigismondo Malatesta Pandolfo, who opened, in addition to two existing two other ports, including that of St. Augustine is still visible. In 1442-49, as the two plaques, one inserted in the vestibule inside walls of the fortress and the other down outside the eastern bastion, Sigismondo also intervened on the Rock. Other restoration of the structure and embellishments can be dated back to 1473, by the will of Pope Sixtus IV in 1696, by the Barberini, as documented a tombstone, well characterized by the presence of bees characterizing the emblem of this family, placed on the door Room Guards enter the courtyard of the tank. To move in the visit inside the fort is important to note the map placed on the right of entry. On leaving the fortress and down to the Via Sant'Andrea, can be reached through a quarter from the old structure, the way that travelled for a short stretch, leading to the church of Sant'Agostino. Dating back to the fourteenth century, has undergone several transformations; than Baroque remain the most obvious signs. Here were stored in ancient bones of the Blessed Gregory, one of four native blessed Verucchio, beatified by the pope santarcangiolese Ganganelli (1769), many centuries later compared to worship documented since 1387. Basically the Way from St. Augustine parapet next to the church, a color look to the roofs of the medieval Borgo irregular letters. Next to the church, 'former Convent of the Fathers of St. Augustine Archaeological Museum in the granting of numerous items of rare and refined style, a Verucchio found during the excavations of the'60-'70 years, dating back to the ninth century-VI BC. Here there is the precious artefacts of culture Villanovian / verucchiese: urns biconiche elegantly decorated, animal shaped vases, jewelry bronze helmets and shields sbalzati, spear points, axes, daggers, rare objects of wood and bone jewelry, amber and gold. Going back the way St. Augustine, after the ancient port, located on the right Pinacoteca. Returning to Piazza Malatesta, going right through Rome to the church Collegiate, it reaches the most extended medieval village. Continuing to the left of the great church, by Walls San Giorgio Rocca arrives at the Passerello, the second Verucchio fortress, which some consider to be the place of residence preferred by Malatesta compared to Rocca who had military functions more closely. In 1636 was built on the ruins of the Convent of the Poor Clares hours Benedictine Monastery. Attached is the church of Santa Chiara opened for worship in 1663, is well-made with stucco friezes and elegant.
Going then to the right, walking in the woods along the walls, we are on the road that meets the square of the Collegiate Church. The Collegiate Church of the parish, mould neoclassical, which was built in 1874 by A. Tondini of Verucchio. It rises over an ancient monastery which is kept in the church sacristy area intended to it is accessed in the middle of the left aisle. In a wall plaque of 1320 is an important document epigraphy Malatesta. Notably, in the various paintings and a crucifix on board school Rimini,'300. Rising from the sacristies and returning to square Battaglini, there appears another church: 'oratory of Suffrage, erected in 1700. It is not neglect by the visit of the Convent of Friars Minor, founded by St. Francis, located on the road that leads down from the hill, turning next to the municipal cemetery, the hamlet of Villa Verucchio. St. Francis would you planted in the courtyard l 'antichissinio cypress. The oldest document that mentions this monastery is the testament of Malatesta from Verucchio of 1311. Inside the church valuable paintings school Rimini,'300.