Number of residents : 12.902
Height sea : from 0 to 88 m.
Distance from Riccione : km 30
The history of the municipality
Savignano sul Rubicone is approximately halfway between Rimini and Cesena, which is 15 kilometers along the Via Emilia and Bologna-axis rail Rimini. The territory of the Municipality extends from the first hills preappenniniche (location Ribano) to the sea, following the Corsican the Rubicon to the mouth.
The origin of the name is contested. The latest credited back to the Roman "Fundus Sabinianus-(or family Sabina). With the words" confluentes "in" Tabula Peutingeriana ", and" Compitum "nell'Itinerario Jerusalem is the place where originated in ancient times Savignano on Via Emilia (St John task).
The invaders forced the inhabitants of this important Roman village to flee to the interior, on the hill of Gaius or Gaggio, then move sull'ameno hilltop Sabiniana family. From this they ridiscesero, several centuries later, to lay the foundations of Savignano. According to the reporters, some Gaius Sabino, Sabiniana head of the family, was the founder of the place. Until 1933 the town was called Savignano di Romagna. Then chief minister Benito Mussolini, with a decree, put an end to a controversy among historians and writers who trascinava centuries, identifying the river crossing Savignano, the historic Rubicon.
The places, things, meetings
The Rubicon - It was the border between Italy and Cisalpine Gaul, a small river - large in the history of Rome - for the gesture of Julius Caesar who crossed in 49 BC becoming enemy of Rome. Livio wrote that the army of console Lucio Postumia, encamped on the banks of this river town, was sbaragliato by Galli they did massacre of Romany, lead by the same Postumia. And what about this bank Caius Julius Caesar's heir Octavian established with Antonio and Lepidus the second triumvirate.
Bridge on Consular Rubicon - The Roman bridge over the river Rubicon was built two centuries before the Common Era, when the console Marco Emilio Lepido did track and fix the Via Emilia that led from Piacenza to Rimini. His large audience of breccia red was visible until 1725 and later brought to light by excavations of 1937-38. In a parchment of 955 cites is the bridge of marble Triponzio Savignano called, and so in the years 1205 and 1268. The lateral arches were damaged by a masnada of Hungarians controlled by Anichino Mongardo and dall'Ordelaffi that there appiccò fire. In 1450 Sigismondo Malatesta, lord of Rimini, took the marbles from the shoulders of the bridge for the construction of the Cathedral of Rimini and to decorate the bridge Tiberius on Marecchia. In 1944 it was completely destroyed after the war and rebuilt by the Superintendent of the monuments of Bologna in 1965.
Ribano Castle (XI century) - It stands on top of a hill, surrounded by vineyards on the main road leading from Savignano sul Rubicone to Sogliano al Rubicone, Km. 2.5. It is now the headquarters of important Spalletti winery, which produces some of the wines of Romagna. The castle with the French revolution passed from hand to hand until Count Gioachino Rasponi, nephew of the King of Naples, and, through several marriages, the current owner Dr. John Colonna Prince of Paliano, grandson of Count Gianbattista Spalletti.
Library and Academy of Filopatridi - In the sixteenth and eighteenth centuries and fiorivano existed in the country of Savignano two libraries: a municipal, and the other of which were merged into one headquarters and administered increased since the first eight hundred by the Academy of Rubiconia Filopatridi.60 thousand books, 400 manuscripts, incunabula 20, 69 cinquecentine, 49 editions Bodoniane, in addition to 450 autographs, constitute the heritage of the current bibliographic library as has been enriched with modern works to match the requests of scholars and students interested in consulting. In 1801, it rose to work Perticari-Borghesi-Amati, the Academy Rubiconia of Filopatridi, perceived as a restoration and an adjustment of the existing Academy, one of Incolti, which was built in the seventeenth century. He had his pastoral laws and order, drawing from his greek name Simpemenia, gathering of pastors. The scholar also gives due weight to the thoughts contained in the laws, because in them is the summary of noble ideals, fuelling always Savignanesi of faith. For 20 years Rubiconia president of the Academy of Ffiopatridi was Joshua Carducci, then appointed "honorary chairman perpetual."
Coming from Cesena, in the area of the task, there is a Romanesque Pieve dating from the sixth century. In its original plant remain only because some elements in the Corsican the centuries the structure has undergone several changes. Then there is the Villa Rasponi Prince Column Paliano, with a park valuable from the point of view botanist. Later there Borgo San Rocco Church with the same name in which she kept a wooden Crucifix of the thirteenth century. Then we move on the Bridge on historical Rubicon and there are Corsican Palace Vendemini (beautiful and completely renovated'700), the Monte di Pieta (the'400 shooting), the Old Fish ('700), the Church of St. Benedict with facade Renaissance. Later the Collegiate Saint Lucia (1494), the Town Hall (700) and the Church of Our Lady Red ('700).