Number of residents : 2.998
Height sea : m 589
Distance from Riccione : km 36
The history of the municipality
On average Marecchia Valley, the center of the historic region of Montefeltro, a huge boulder shaped diamond with walls to the ground, stands St. Leo. The plaque rocky limestone-training arenacea, is the result of the troubled genesis which led to the formation of the landscape of Val Marecchia, known to geologists as Coltre or casting of Val Marecchia. The limits of plaque, in the case of St. Leo, are identifiable and coinciding with the cliffs and overhangs; contact with the underlying clay is always evident. This situation makes St. Leo a paradigmatic example for the interpretation of the local geology and summarizes also significant geomorphological phenomena characteristic of Val Marecchia. The extraordinary natural conformation of the place has determined prehistoric, double reality fortitude fitted by nature and offshore inaccessible and therefore sacred to the gods.
The old name Mons Feretrius is traditionally linked to an important Roman settlement, built around a temple dedicated to Jupiter Feretrio. While not being in possession of sources that certify the year in which the Romany came to this place, we can say that, since the third century, they built a fort on the highest point of the mountain, but not the town of monirono masonry wall because the cliff is itself inaccessible from any side. At the end of the third century, came in Montefeltro, Dalmatia, Leone and his companion Marino, who is responsible for the spread of Christianity which spread quickly throughout the surrounding region, to the birth of the Diocese of Montefeltro. Leone is considered, traditionally, the first Bishop of Montefeltro, although the establishment of the Diocese was probably the period between VI and VII century, when St. Leo was erected in the city (the first bishop is documented only nell'826). The ecclesiastical headed by Montefeltro area included a hilly and mountainous, distributed between the Valleys of Savio, Marecchia Conca and Leaf (a few mutations, the ancient Diocese survives today with the naming of San Marino-Montefeltro). On the native of shrine built by the same Leone Tradition has it that the clever stone cutter, the parish church was built, dedicated to the cult eastern Dormition Virginis. The building, constructed Carolingian period and refurbished Romanesque, gathers around him at the heart of the medieval city. After the seventh century, next to the parish church, the cathedral was built, devoted to the worship of the Holy Leone. In 1173 it was completely renovated in the Romanesque-Lombard, and combined with mighty bell tower probably Byzantine origin. The core of the holy city, made up of the Episcopal Palace and the residence of Canons was thus constitute a real conurbation the civitas Sanctis Leonis, enriched by other buildings Montefeltro dynasty established in San Leo in mid-1100. It is no coincidence that these descendants of the offspring of the Counts of Carpegna, took the title in its own name from the city-fortress Montefeltro-San Leo.
The places, things, meetings
The center preserves medieval buildings Romanesque Pieve, Cathedral and Bell Tower, while the residential buildings have undergone many changes during the Renaissance period. The settlement extends around historic churches that overlook the central square, named after Dante Alighieri, and is composed of several buildings: the Palazzo Mediceo (1517-23), the residence of the Severini-Nardini (XIII-XVI century) , Della Rovere palace (sixteenth-seventeenth century.), the Church of Our Lady of Loreto and homes built between the fourteenth and nineteenth century. Distanziata by urban defense for obvious reasons, is the fortress of Francesco di Giorgio Martini. The early primitive core, where from 961 to 963 had been besieged Berengario King of Italy by Otto I of Germany, was extended between thirteenth and fourteenth century, when Malatesta managed to steal St. Leo the Montefeltro. The medieval castle with the quadrangular towers defended by Malatesta, was finally redrawn by the Sienese Francesco di Giorgio Martini thanks to Federico da Montefeltro in 1479. He thought the double curtain aimed at pointing between circular towers of forged corbels, muný of the great facing south, below which pose a characteristic casamatta. The new form provided for a response to the fire along a counter offensive dynamic that could guarantee cross-way shots, wherever the attack came. The fortress was protagonist of important events during the war period Renaissance was removed for a few months to Montefeltro by Duke Valentino in 1502 and Della Rovere troops Medici in 1517. With the devolution of Urbino Duchy direct to the domain of the Papal States (1631), the fortress lost his harness nature of war and was adapted to prison. In 1788, being the prisons of the Fortress of St. Leo for their shape and very unhealthy and threatening one of those Baluardi imminent ruin, Giuseppe Valadier, appointed by Pius VII architect of the State of the Church, was instructed to make the whole structure necessary improvements. From 1791 until his death on 26 August 1795, there was locked Giuseppe Balsamo, known as Count Alessandro di Cagliostro, one of the most enigmatic and fascinating adventure age of Enlightenment. With the advent Unification of Italy, St. Leo was not the subject of urban rehabilitation, keeping intact the urban plan.