Number of residents : 32.894
Height sea : m 5
The history of the municipality
The territory on which Riccione arose in the late seventeenth century was inhabited since prehistoric times, as many artefacts kept at the national museum attest. At Roman, in fact, remains dating from rustic villas and necropolis "vicus Popilius" today in San Lorenzo Street, and pieces of a bridge on the Via Flaminia.
The first mention of Riccione in the form of "Arcionis", however, dates from the ninth century after Christ appears in the so-called Code Bavaro (1500), in which manuscript papiraceo are transcribed possessions of the Ravenna Church in Pentapolis, the territory which belonged Rimini Byzantine age. The area then took a significant strategic importance in the Middle Ages when it was built two castles on the hills, the remains of one of them (Castle of Agolanti) are still visible in Ancona Avenue. Then it was made more secure the flat area with the construction on the coast riccionese, in 1673, by the Papal States, two towers warning to counter the threat of pirate raids. Towards the end of the seventeenth century was built as the village in the resort of Riccione, established at the beginning by a small group of settlements on the fringes of Flaminia, depending on the traffic of agricultural products via the Consular convogliava in Rimini.
The development of coastal Riccione dates from the last century and a date is represented by 1865, the year in which - largely thanks to the tenacity of the parish priest Carlo Tonini - was opened a railway station of Bologna and Ancona. The main reason, supported the priest, was the fact that in Riccione for the bathrooms were children scrofolosi of Emilia Romagna and close. The beginnings of seaside tourism linked to the construction of "marine hospices, born as a result conceptions idroterapiche beneficial effects on the human body on the sea, and the validity of therapies salsoiodiche. In 1880 Count Giacinto Martinelli drew what can be considered the first "master plan" of the town Romagna setting on an orthogonal, with a board of tree-lined avenues and lots on which houses were built in the green, peculiarities that Riccione, despite large transformations, still retains.
At the end of the last century and the beginning of this, dating activities beneficial Mary Boorman Wheeler widow doctor John Ceccarini, which Riccione must build the hospital, a kindergarten and the port. At praiseworthy American citizen, is dedicated by the main town, a few years turned into prestigious city centre, for the presence of unique shops and refined local entertainment. At the beginning of the century, were the first hotels built, the first summer residences to accommodate and entertain especially families of the middle class and Emilia Romagna. The year 1922 marks an important date for Riccione, following the achievement of municipal quell'autonomia, which laid the foundations of its development. It goes back to the'30s, however, the authentic off the Adriatic town, favoured by international celebrities that derived from the choice of the family Mussolini, and the resulting contour to spend the summer holidays.
Until the years preceding the Second World War, the common will of the public bodies and private enterprise to defend and enhance the heritage woody and green of the town, (hence the name "the pearl green dell'Adriatico") are the most effective form of promotion of Riccione. This, together with an improvement of quality of services and the organisation of fervent performances and sports initiatives and worldly of international entertainment addressed the guests, allowed to reach fourth place in Italy between the seaside resorts summer in terms of attendance.
After the Second World War, since the'50s, Riccione is committed to great effort to adapt its structures - especially those receptive - mass tourism, a phenomenon which continues today. However Starting from the end of the 70s, complete the campground, there is a need to elevate the quality of facilities and services, including cope with the growing domestic and international competitiveness.
The main attractions
The Museum of territory (10 avenue Lazio, at the centre of weight), preserves, as has been said, many artefacts of prehistory, reconstructing the history of riccionese and inland (Conca Valley), geophysical aspects and anthropogenic: from the oldest evidence of attendance until age population of Rome. Among the materials on display: the plastic geophysical land until upstream Carpegna; Reconstruction dell'emischeletro of bison-priscus of 150,000 years ago; Neolithic pottery, pendants, fibule, bronze dagger; by Roman necropolis of San Lorenzo fragments of the bed Funeral bone, the Roman tombs in cash and incineration; diorama of the basin pleistocenico Conca. But Riccione, especially in the last decade, has committed substantial public and private resources in order to win new market segments consist of the sports tourism, conference and spa acquiring un'impiantistica sports front (piscina. Olympic, tennis center, stadium for swimming, etc.), able to host events at the international level.
Particular attention was paid to the potential of increasing tourism conference, with the restructuring of the Palace of Tourism and several hotels, and the development of thermae.