Number of residents : 5.323
Height sea : m 84
Distance from Riccione : km 12
The history of the municipality
The ancient land of fairs and markets, natural meeting place for exchanges and the villages of the Val Conca, rooted in an Roman. In some entries (preserved at the Museum of Lapidary City in Rimini) mentions some land owned by Marcia or Gens Murcia, located in this area. Other documents date back at the late Middle Ages.Benno Bennone, feudatory of Morciano, leaves it in inheritance, in 1014, his son Peter, who in turn makes a gift to St. Peter Damian.In memory of 1069 was founded in the monastery of St. Gregory (of which today are visible external structures, having been transformed over the centuries into farmhouse).
In Descriptio Romandiole (1371), Morciano is presented as a small semi-abandoned village because of continuing the destructive floods Conca. However valid the title of country markets, contended place by the most powerful castles in the valley, as a source of great wealth through duties and charges arising from trade. This probably goes back to 1 'appointment with the exhibition of San Gregorio (second week in March), far documented since 1200. At the end of the twelfth century the village and the market are subject to Montefiore while remaining part of the territory morcianese falls within the jurisdiction of San Clemente.
In 1827 ends through a bubble of Pope Leo XII subservience to the Montefiore and, while retaining a degree of autonomy, the village is incorporated in the territory of nearby San Clemente, which is successful, after a long wait, to extend its control over businesses in the valley. The autonomy, however, is finally achieved in 1857 by decree of Pope Pius IX.
The main attractions
This important role over the centuries by Morciano is a distinctive feature of the centre even today. In the territory of Morciano are many companies in the country is one of the richest commercial centres of Rimini. And 'active fieristisco also a pavilion. Worth noting is the rationalist plant throughout the town that dates back to the early `900. The historic heart of the country has unfortunately very little remains of the past. The castle is visible only along a wall of the Corsican Conca.
Even the ancient abbey of Saint Gregory is, as already mentioned above, unrecognizable. It was deleted at the end of `700 by order of Napoleon and never restored. Currently the town has in the pipeline a draft recovery and restoration of the building. Interesting is the small Chapel of Our Lady of Grace (end of the `700). Among the major events of the calendar of events Morciano remind the aforementioned Fair of San Gregorio, which affects the entire country and can be considered one of the most important of Romagna. The fair coincides with the spring equinox (March 21), an important moment of celebration, from the beginning of human history, linked to the great mystery of awakening and renewal of plant life in the world and more generally with the worship of the goddess mother and fertility.
Among the most unique traditions, heritage preserved by popular find during the holidays, used by the hosts and shopkeepers to hang on the door of their shop a frasca that refers to ancient symbols propitiatory and good wishes of ' antiquities. The fair specializes in cattle breed Romagna and horses.News is a very interesting one for celebrities of Morciano. Indeed morcianese origin of the famous Umberto Boccioni, the main representative of Italian futurism and the contemporary sculptor Arnaldo Pomodoro that you can admire a beautiful sculpture on the new town's main square.