Number of residents : 914
Height sea : m 290
Distance from Riccione : km 27
The history of the municipality
The origin of this charming village escapes, still, careful scholars of. It is the previous name Monte Lauro derived perhaps dall'alloro that grew abundantly in the forests on the nearby hills. The present name dates back Montegridolfo, instead, to the thirteenth century. The Castrum Gredulphus owes its name to the family Rimini, part of Guelph, Gridolfi, who settled at clashes with the party against the Ghibellines.
The castle, in all likelihood, goes back to this phase of the Middle Ages, when developed several centres well defended the hills able to dominate the whole valley. In 1233 Montegridolfo loyalty oath in Rimini in the fight against Urbino. The centre is ransacked and burnt in 1288 by neighbours and common Mondaino Saludecio. The link with Rimini consolidated with the rise to power of Malatesta who contributed on several occasions, expansion and maintenance of the mighty castle.
Guastafamiglia Malatesta, in 1337, after the destruction wrought by nephew Ferrantino Novello and Nolfo of Urbino, built new walls with four imposing towers to defend the town. The special geographical location of Montegridolfo, which allows position to dominate the Romagna and Montefeltro, is the cause of bitter struggles and destruction continue. In 1455 the castle passes to return to Montefeltro, a few years later, in the hands of Malatesta. The years ahead are short succession dominations: Cesare Borgia in 1502, Venice in 1504 and finally the final step, in 1509, under the rule of the Church.
The main attractions
Recent restorations have made one of the best preserved medieval villages of this land. The hot color of the bricks contrasts with the lush green hills, everything seems to be suspended in time and space waiting to be rediscovered and relived. The Castle Malatesta (XIV century.), Now the City Hall, has preserved its original appearance. Worth noting are the ramp of formwork, the elegant arched doorway and goticheggiante exhibition of the "Blue cave."
The charm of the past does not stop in front of the fort but also the soul buildings, the streets quiet and churches. At the heart of the village is the fourteenth century church of San Rocco, an ancient chapel of the castle. Inside are two frescoes found overlapping representing the same theme Madonna and Child with Saints. The oldest of these paintings has been attributed to Giotto school and the other appears to be the work of a painter-Marche, Umbria `500. A century later Cagnacci painted, this time on canvas, once a Madonna and Child with Saints, including, next to San Sebastian and San Rocco, San Giacinto. At about one kilometer from Montegridolfo rises another important place of worship: the Church of St. Peter, rebuilt in 1929 on the ruins of an earlier Romanesque building. The place is worth a visit for a fresco of great value: a crucifix school Rimini, `300, painted by three different masters. The cult of the Virgin, which has ancient origins in Montegridolfo, also finds expression in the Shrine of Our Lady of Grace (located in loc. Trebbio). Built in `700 instead of church erected in memory of two miraculous apparitions of the Virgin in 1548, preserves, inside, a valuable painting depicting the apparition of the Virgin to Antonia Ondidei (XVI). Pompey Morganti from Fano, a of the first examples of Mannerism Marches in the Romagna. The canvas is a document of great importance as playing in the background, so exact and authentic castle Montegridolfo and hills nearby.
The traditions which, over the centuries, were loaded with symbols, renewed annually, in the historical and places of worship, religious appointments strongly suggestive as the procession of costumed Holy Friday and Festivals Mariane. Tradition is also modern activities that constitute the economic base of Montegridolfo. Activities that follow the old beaten path of (oil and wine), farming, processing of iron.