Number of residents : 7.421
Height sea : m 107
Distance from Riccione : km 4
The history of the municipality
Coriano has ancient origins: it was the colony Umbrian, Etruscan, Romany. From the thirteenth century onwards was a land of conquest for all armies that fought in Italy. It was of Malatesta, Borgia, the Republic of Venice, armies of Spanish troops of pope. In 1528 the pope was donated to the family Sassatelli Imola in return for favors rendered settle Malatesta. The family Sassatelli rebuilt the castle destroyed broadly as we can see today in the ruins gave Coriano the national emblem. Three mountains combined silver in the blue: that the highest top half of heart silver; two sides surmounted by golden lily, all within a three flowers crown and two points taken. The emblem original stone is still float over the entrance to the castle. Coriano was in the centuries after the agricultural area of Rimini, the mandamento which included six towns (Misano, Montecolombo, Montescudo, Morciano, San Clemente as well as Coriano). The name of the town returned to the world during the Second World War in September when there are 144 fought the most fierce and deadly battle of breakthrough Gothic line, aimed at freeing of Rimini. The whole town was destroyed. This bloody episode remained outside the English Cemetery war Hosting 1940 fell.
The main attractions
The remains of the castle of Coriano stand on one of the highest promontories of the country, in conditions of serious deterioration in 1989 though the council acted with restoration works at the entrance gate and tower. The construction should be attributed to Malatesta in the first half of the fifteenth century. In 1528 the castle was assigned by Pope Clement VII to the family Sassatelli Imola as premium for the help given in fighting against Malatesta. On the entrance door there is still the emblem of stone Sassatelli that remained in the common banner (three mountains combined silver in the blue: two lateral surmounted by a grid of gold). In the ownership of castle avvicenda several times: the Empire, the papacy, Carpegna, Malatesta, Montefeltro, Sassatelli, the Venetians. The town of Coriano dall'800 onwards (until the second world war, when the war caused to the castle many damage), used the buildings for uses other than Rocca, but always utilities (postiglione home, doctor conducted mandamentali prisons, etc..). After the war, until the mid-'70s, coinciding with the abandonment of the country by the population migration to the coast, the castle was reduced in a state of semiabbandono. Also in the light of choices as urban buildings on the military made sure others were inexcusable errors to the detriment of all municipal heritage. In recent decades interventions rehabilitation and restoration of some parts of Rocca, made by individuals under the direction of soprintendenza the Arts, I have a good recovery. The municipal administration is committed to seeking funding for a general rehabilitation of the whole castle, in order to return the country to tourists and its most important monument and more valuable.
Cerasolo - The building of "castrum" Ceresolo lost in the years of 1200. It belonged to the town of Rimini in 1321 when it was conquered by the Ghibellines Romagna and completely destroyed. Rebuilt from Rimini in 1380 passed to Malatesta, Montefeltro, the Venetian. Today there are visible remains of the ancient castle built homes in the next centuries and resting on the remains of the Roman wall.
Besanigo - Castle St. Andrea in Patrignano was erected by Sigismondo Maltesta in 1430. In 1504 it passed the Venetian, then finally to Montefeltro and the town of Rimini. In 1517 it was conquered and destroyed by Francesco Maria Della Rovere. The ruins left the fire were partly supported buildings later. There are still visible traces of the imposing walls
Passano - Castrum Passani is the oldest building in the municipality which has documentation from a document Ravenna showed that it was granted in 1111 by Lucius II to the Church of Ravenna. After then the town of Rimini in 1361 to Malatesta. The castle stood on the hilltop to pass, overlooking the river of Fornaci, on the summit of which was constructed a restaurant using the remains of the fortress, next to the building you see foundations and masonry bases
Mulazzano - Castrum Mulazzani in 1366 belonged to the Holy See, but in 1358 went to Malatesta. In 1468 Federico da Montefeltro took him to Sigismondo. In 1504 it occupied the Venetians. The castle was situated at the heart of the village of Mulazzano today remain few remains of the walls and the tank, visible in the middle of the square.
Monte Tauro - In 1200 Castrum Montis Tauern was subject to the town of Rimini which passed to Malatesta. In 1504 they seized the Venetians. The castle stood where today is the House of Monte Tauro also said castle on the hill overlooking Corsican Marano some buildings were erected over the ruins, most of whom disappeared as a result of the premises and restructuring place.
Vecciano -In 1355 Castrum Viciani is ribellava the town of Rimini to submit to the Holy See. Then went to Malatesta and was subsequently demolished. It was situated on the hill where the farmhouse Tower, the building is built on the foundations of the fortress which preserves the underground cellar and used as a cistern still efficient