Number of residents : 15.601
Height sea : m 4
Distance from Riccione : km 10
The history of the municipality
He recalled by Dante in The Divine Comedy (Inferno, XXIII), the Catholic community was officially born on 16 August 1271, when the residents of Castles Focara decided to submit to the town of Rimini insediando the new settlement in place "que vocetur Catholica": that Catholic call. Here there was already a settlement of Roman built along the Via Flaminia (200 BC). The number and quality of archaeological (first century BC - the fourth century AD) suggest to a road ( "statio" or "mansio) characterized by an economy linked to transit. A Catholic vocation that obviously kept in the Middle Ages and modern as a haven to stop and rest for travelers and pilgrims along the axis Bologna and Ancona-Roma at a time of fairs and markets or to the shrines of Loreto and St. Peter."Contrada of taverns", at least twenty at the end of the sixteenth century, it will be this vocation hospitality to remind Catholic in later periods. From the second half of the eighteenth century, the risk of scemato Turkish incursions and become more secure browsing, to the "hospitality" placed side by side activity related to fishing, which proceed greatly in the second half of the nineteenth century. Meanwhile, the tourism industry linked to the practice of swims had a new impetus overbearing. Especially since 1861, when it came into operation rail Bologna and Ancona. crop out first cottages, the summer residences of aristocrats and wealthy professionals Emilian. On 1 January 1896 Catholic got the desired autonomy from the town of St. John, characterised by an agrarian difficult to reconcile with the development needs of the seaside village. The first post-war period saw the flourishing of activities related to tourism. At nobility Romagna, Bologna and bourgeois families of officers will Austrian replaced the rich industrial bourgeoisie and a middle class of bureaucrats and employees. Already in the thirties Catholic was a fashionable destination known throughout Europe. Many houses were converted into hotels and elegant with all the "comfort" required by new customers. But it was especially in the fifties and sixties, that tourism from practice elitist phenomenon became "mass" with millions of people a year.
The main attractions
La Rocca , via Pascoli.Built in 1491 "to save them robbe de habitanti de time de Turkish incursion. It was headquarters of the Captain of Catholic elected in Rimini council for the defence of the village (XVIXVE century). It is privately owned.
Church of St.Apollinaris, , via Pascoli. Erected presumably at the end of the thirteenth century, although the first official mention dates back to 1313. The current building at 1782 res ale.
Church of St. Pio (1859), via XX Settembre.
Church of St. Antonio (1970), via Del Prete.
Galleria Comunale S. Croce , via Pascoli. Former Church of St. Croce, erected at the end of the sixteenth century (century XV1) beside the Hospital of pilgrims.
Theatre , piazza della Repubblica. A italian Theatre (700 seats) designed by arch. Pierluigi Cervellati. In advanced stage of completion.
Polivalente Cultural Center . Library, fonovideoteca, Antiquarium (archaeological Roman; maritime section with documents and materials seafaring history).
Archaeological excavations , market square, the remains of Roman house
Dockfishing and stop the slipways